Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mid week post

Hi everyone,

Sterling had his annual physical at the doctor's office yesterday so I went with him and we went out to Shiva Indian Restaurant in the Rice Village after that. It was pretty good. I was hoping that a little bit of spicy indian food (combined with our early morning walk in our neighborhood gym before Sterling left for work) might get labor going, but alas, it wasn't in the cards. Plus, when I say "spicy food" it's kind of a joke because I'm a huge wimp with spicy food...Sterling loves spicy food so we go to a lot of restaurants that serve it, but in all honesty, the amount of spicy I ate last night (or really any night at any restaurant) is probably no where near to what most people consider spicy. Most "mild" salsas at mexican restaurants set my mouth on fire, lol...I try though! I'm in training! Maybe one day I'll be able to tolerate spicy like a big kid :)

The word of the morning thus far: Sciatica.
Not sure if the baby is directly on my sciatic nerve or on one of my sacral nerves but whatever it is, it feels like sharp shooting pains in my pelvis (particularly around my SI joints), down my legs and my feet are tingley - worse on the right side than the left.

This is a pretty common occurrence late in pregnancy as the baby grows larger and its' head gets lower in the pelvis. Nothing really to worry about, just another one of the...joys...of pregnancy. Right now, she is probably growing at a rate of an ounce or more per day - pretty fast rate - she's gotta be running out of room! No wonder I spend all day scavenging in the kitchen for food and waddling to the bathroom :)

Despite the pain it causes (and how easy it would be to complain alllll day), I'm glad she is moving further down in my pelvis - the more pressure exerted on my cervix and lower pelvic region, the sooner she will come on her own and the more likely it is that I'll be able to avoid a C-section. The pressure exerted serves to signal more hormone release to further dilate/efface the cervix and prepare for childbirth. So, sciatica, I've decided that you are a good sign :)

Here's hoping miss Lauren comes soon. "Normal" breathing, eating, moving, etc. sounds so great right about now.

Tonight is "National Night Out" for our neighborhood. Its' main purpose is for getting to know your neighbors in the interest of preventing crime (the better you know your neighbors, the better able you are to spot and report if anything out of the ordinary is going on) so each street in our neighborhood is getting together and having a block party for an hour or two tonight. We've met most of the neighbors in our cul-de-sac since we've moved in, but there are some towards the end of the street we haven't had the chance to meet yet so that will be good to get to know everyone. Should be fun.

-J&S

No comments:

Post a Comment